Thursday 27 May 2010

New Zealand.... scenery like Norway on steroids ;)

With a heavy heart my 3 month tourist visa for the "land down under" was coming to an end, once again it was time to grab my backpack and move on. Next adventure: New Zealand 
A fellow travel friend met me at the airport in Auckland. Ok so we might have had a tiny communication dysfunction, since he showed up with his x-small car, a Porsche. I was stood on the side walk with a 7,6 foot min mal surf board...

Having spent most of my time in Oz living in a car or a tent close to the beach and surf I soon decided Auckland was to cityish and bussy for me. I bought clothes... I needed them cos I totally miscalculated and it was closing up to winter time. (this would later mean I could snowboard on the south Island so all good). Got myself a ticket on one of these hop on hop of busses, (which in reality most people hop on and stay until the end, because you get to know the other travelers and bonds are made). After some research I landed on Stray Travel. North Island and South Island Check! What a trip! Surfing in Raglan, on what is said to be the longest left left-hand break, glowworms, Rotorua geothermal spa, Taupo, Tongeriro Crossing a walk that has been voted one of the best in the world, Wellington, Abel Tasmen national park, Franz Josef glacier, Skydive over Fox Glacier, Queenstown, Milford Sound cruise ended up in Queenstown where I stayed for a while snowboarding. . . 

Snowboarding Queenstown


























Skydiving over Fow glacier, a few months later I read in the paper that the same company had a tradic accident.... 







Finally down under.....halfway between the equator and the south pole, 

45th parallel


                          



The Kawarau Bridge Bungy (bungee) - home to the original 43 metre Bungy Jump









Queenstown















No comments:

Post a Comment